Allison, your local list-maker extraordinaire.
Recently, I’ve been making lists of the things that I spend time thinking about, just to have a log of my daily experiences. Here’s an abbreviated list of my current headspace.
- Will I ever get over the fact that I am currently living the very life that I dreamed about when I was in high school? Will any of this ever feel real?
- There should probably be more dogs in my life.
- Happy crying scares people just as much as normal crying; I should probably stop doing that.
- That guy I saw on the ferry three years ago who had on a business suit but when he sat down his bright blue polka dot socks stuck out from under his pants. Does he wear zany socks on a regular basis or was he just running low on clean laundry that morning? Does he even still have the same job that makes him commute into Manhattan?
- I’m starting to like chocolate ice cream and this isn’t a character development I’m open to at this point in my life.
- How can I possibly ever learn all of the chemistry that the grad students I’m working with seem to know?
- I should probably go to a doctor.
- How many dogs is too many dogs? (Probably about a hundred.)
- I never drink enough water.
- I could shave my head and get five tattoos, like, today.
- I know I’m the same person as when I was 14, so why is it so disorienting to see a photo of myself from that age and realize that the girl in the pictures looks just like me?
- When did I become the type of person who puts on pants when I check the high for the day and see that its “only 87”?
- How many times can I say “y’all” before it stops being ironic?
- I need to stop spending money.
- I’m bad at maintaining old friendships.
- I should probably read more books but also I just want to sleep constantly.